U3A National Workshops
The Third Age Trust has developed a number of workshops for U3A committee members and potential committee members. The workshops have been designed to provide support, information and knowledge to the U3A movement. They have been developed in consultation with U3A members. We are also open to designing bespoke workshops to assist as required.
The workshops that are currently offered by the Trust include:
- Running your U3A – which explores governance issues, Trusteeship and organising an AGM
- Managing Growth – exploring issues around the effective growth of a U3A
- Financial Matters – budgeting, accounting and managing U3A monies
- Interest Groups Matter – how to run effective interest groups and inspire new groups
- Communications – how to communicate effectively with your membership and how to raise the profile of your U3A
- Volunteers and Volunteering – exploring issues around recruiting, valuing and managing volunteers
- Keeping it Legal – exploring issues of compliance including: insurance, GDPR, Safeguarding, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
The workshops are interactive and are delivered by experienced Trust volunteers alongside National Office staff. The delivery is designed to draw on the knowledge, interests and experience of attendees. Maximum numbers of attendees are generally set at 50 with the minimum being 30.
The workshops are designed to be delivered over a day from 10.30am - 15.30pm. Adaptations to this can be discussed.
Refreshments and lunch are provided.
Workshops are organised 'on request'. If you would like to request one please click here to complete the form and we will make contact with you to discuss your request.
Interest Groups Matter - Porthcawl
Tuesday 26th February 2019
Financial Matters - London
Friday 1st March 2019
Recruiting and Valuing Volunteers - London
Monday 11th March 2019
Running your U3A - Horsham
Tuesday 12th March 2019
Keeping it Legal - Cirencester
Wednesday 20th March 2019
Financial Matters - East Horsley
Tuesday 16th April 2019
First National Study Day for Languages
The Trust is working with language Subject Advisers Heather Westrup and Dorothy Newman to bring U3A the first National Study Day for Languages to be held on 27th March at Aston University in Birmingham.
Heather said, “Our unique U3A language learning context means that we don’t turn away prospective learners, so small U3As need to cope with “mixed ability. Other groups want to know how to manage without an “expert” leader. Groups at higher levels enjoy suggestions for conversation sessions while learners new to a language need ideas for retaining that all important vocabulary. All relish the time to exchange ideas about language activities and games”.
This study day is aimed particularly at supporting U3A group convenors to share ideas and best practice. It is seen as a pilot for more such days on different subjects.